Falling out of bed and into the shower, grabbing a sip of coffee and a slice of Luke warm toast as you throw the kids in the car to drop them off on the way to work. Road works, late buses, pouring rain….Arghhhhhh!
Here are a few ideas to help you manage your stressful day at the office.
1. Win the lottery – then you won’t have to work and the nanny can deal with the kids.
OK so that’s a long shot but not a bad solution!.
- In the absence of winning a fortune, get up a bit earlier. I can hear the yelps of pain. Get out of my nice warm bed even earlier? Yes. having the time to eat a proper breakfast and wake up the brain can really help de-stress you and improve your productivity at work. You won’t really miss those extra few minutes after a while and you may get some brownie points with the boss for your next raise.
- Drink plenty of Water. Very few of us drink enough water. The link between water and stress reduction is well documented. All of our organs, including our brains, need water to function properly. If you’re dehydrated, your body isn’t running well — and that can lead to stress. So keep a bottle at your desk or drop over to the water fountain for a regular top up.
- Catch some rays baby, Mother Nature may be the ultimate antidepressant. Exposure to natural light can increase levels of the mood-lifting chemical serotonin so get outside in the sunshine during your lunch break and soak up some sun! Sorry If you live in Ireland be happy with daylight that works too
- Stretch Shrug your shoulders — Inhale deeply and shrug your shoulders, lifting them high up to your ears. Hold. Release and drop. Repeat three times. Then Shake your head slowly, yes and no. You might as well amuse yourself while you do it to relax even further. Ask yourself silly questions: “Is your boss an idiot?” Move your head up and down, “Yes, yes, yes.” Side to side: “No. No. No.” Remember sometimes stress relief is a mental activity too!
- Unplug When you get home switch off the mobile for a while and leave the laptop in its bag. go out for a walk, listen to some music, talk with your partner or play with the kids. For an hour just leave the technology behind. Never check emails or schedule work calls less than an hour before you go to bed. Your brain will be too active to let you relax into a healthy sleep.
So Give these a try and see how your life will become fabulously unstressed. If you do manage to win the lottery you might remember who suggested you enter and help de-stress my life too
If you found this top 5 useful you might try and do some physical exercise by hitting the “Like” button on our facebook page